Types of Shingles Our The Woodlands Team Uses
The Best Materials to Get You the Best Results
Shingles form the outer layer of your roof, and their importance cannot be understated. They protect your roof from rain, wind, and heat, and complete the exterior look of your home. When you’re installing or replacing your roof, you need to make sure that you’re using the best type of shingles for the job.
At T. Williams Roofing, our The Woodlands roofers specialize in asphalt shingles. Unlike other roofing materials like metal and tile, asphalt shingles come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, giving them an unbeatable range of functionality and customization. Plus, they’re low-cost, low-maintenance, and resistant to all the types of weather that we see here in The Woodlands.
The greatest assets that asphalt shingles provide is their versatility. There are three major types of shingles, each of which can fulfill a different function. While all three are more than capable of protecting your property, each has different aesthetic properties and costs.
The 3 Major Types of Shingle Are:
- 3 Tab Shingles – Despite what their name may imply, these shingles are composed of only one layer of material and are the most affordable type of shingle. Thin, light, and uniform in shape and sizes, they’re distinguished by cutouts, or tabs, along the surface that give the illusion of multiple layers or pieces. These shingles can stand up to winds up to 60 mph.
- Architectural Shingles – These shingles create a distinct look by combining a multitude of shapes and sizes on one roof. They also have an extra layer of protective coating, which gives your roof a longer lifespan. These shingles can resist wind speeds as high as 130 mph.
- Designer Shingles – Designer shingles have the same level of extra protection as architectural shingles, but with even more variety. They’re often used to create a textured look that can even mimic a tile roof. These shingles also have the highest wind resistance, able to withstand wind speeds up to 140 mph.
Partnered with Industry Experts
Our roofing team is proud to be partnered with the shingle experts at Malarkey and Owens Corning. Both of these companies work hard to create the latest and greatest in shingle technology, adding more protection and cutting down on costs to ensure you get the best roof possible. As certified/preferred contractors, we have access to their products at lower prices, as well as continuous training to ensure your roof gets installed the right way.
We Use These Great Shingles in Our Roofing:
- Owens Corning Duration shingles
- Malarkey Vista Class 3 shingles
- Malarkey Legacy Class 4 shingles with scotchgard
- Malarkey Windsor Designer shingles
Why Other Brands Can’t Compete
Shingles can stand up to any threat, but only when they’re made right. Other manufacturers like GAF, CertainTeed, and IKO don’t go the extra mile to manufacture their shingles with additional protections, and their products can be hard to recycle when the time comes to replace your roof. Additionally, they're each prone to their own faults and vulnerabilities. For example, GAF's Timberline HD shingles are prone to losing their protective granules under the hot Texas sun, especially when walked on. IKO's products are known by roofers to be cheap, low-quality, and easily damaged. CertainTeed faced a class action lawsuit in 2010 for the low quality of their organic 3 tab shingles. We don’t want our neighbors suffering from the side effects of sub-par shingles, so we make sure we only use the best for our roofing services.
Our Shingles Offer Extra Protections Like:
- Extra resistance to stains and algae
- Thoroughly tested impact resistance technology
- Upcycled materials
- Copper granules from 3M
- Specialized smog-reducing granules that limit air pollution
- Class A fire resistance
- And more!
Start building your new roof with help from the experts at Malarkey, Owens Corning, and T. Williams Roofing today by contacting us for a free bid!